½ Pound dried Great Northern beans
Water as needed
Olive oil as needed
1 Onion, chopped
2 Small carrots, diced
1 Celery stalk, diced
4 Cups Lacinato kale, shredded (1 small bunch)
1 Idaho potato, peeled and diced
1 Cup KINGS diced tomatoes
2 Garlic cloves, minced
2 Teaspoon minced fresh KINGS Organic Fresh Rosemary leaves
1 Tablespoons minced parsley
1 Teaspoon KINGS Organic Fresh Thyme leaves
Salt to taste
Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
1 Cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
1. Place beans in large saucepan with enough cold water to cover. Let stand at room temperature overnight.
2. Drain beans and return to saucepan. (or try Kings Organic canned Great Northern beans) Add enough water to cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until tender, 1 hour 30 minutes, reserving liquid. Transfer half of beans to food processor or blender and puree (being careful of the hot liquid). Reserve remaining whole beans.
3. Heat ¼ cup oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots and celery and sauté 5 minutes. Stir in kale, potato, pureed beans and enough reserved bean cooking liquid and water to make 6 cups. Heat over medium heat and simmer for about 30 minutes until vegetables are tender.
4. Add tomato, garlic, rosemary, parsley, thyme and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer until well blended, at least 10 minutes, adding additional bean liquid if soup is too thick. (Soup should be quite thick.)
5. Stir in reserved whole beans and simmer until heated through, 5 to 10 minutes. (Can be cooled and refrigerated overnight.) Ladle into heated soup bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Top each bowl of soup with spoonful of olive oil, if desired.