1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
8 Ounces Bacon, diced
2 ½ Pounds Kings Boneless Chuck Roast, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 ½ Cups Low Sodium Beef Broth
1 Pound Carrots, diced (or try substituting our Chef Inspired Spring Roasted Carrots, available in our Deli)
2 Red Onions, sliced & cut into pieces
3 Garlic Cloves, chopped
½ Cup Brandy
1 Bottle (750 mL) Burgundy Wine
1 ½ Tablespoons KINGS Tomato Paste
1 Teaspoon Dijon Mustard
1 Teaspoon Fresh KINGS Organic Fresh Thyme
1 Teaspoon Fresh Parsley
½ Stick Kings Organic Unsalted Butter
12 Ounces of Small Onions in a jar, peeled & drained
1 Pound Cremini Mushrooms, wiped & thinly sliced
1/2 Stick Kings Organic Unsalted Butter, room temperature
3 Tablespoons Wondra
2 Teaspoons Kosher Salt, divided
2 Teaspoons Freshly Ground Pepper
Preheat the oven to 300 Degrees
1. Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large Dutch oven or ovenproof casserole dish. Add the bacon and cook 8 minutes, stirring several times, until browned. Remove with a slotted spoon.
2. In the same pan, sear the beef in 3 batches, sprinkling with salt and pepper.
3. Remove the meat and place with the bacon. Sprinkle the carrots and onions with a teaspoon of salt and 2 teaspoons of pepper. Add to the pan and cook 10 minutes until onions are lightly browned and translucent. Add the chopped garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, being careful not to burn. Put the beef and bacon, with any accumulated juices, back into the pan. Stir together the brandy, tomato paste, thyme, Dijon and parsley. Add to the pan. Add the bottle of wine and enough beef broth to cover the meat and vegetables. Bring to a boil and cover with a tight fitting lid. Place in the oven for 1 ¼ hours, or until meat and vegetables are fork tender.
4. Remove from the oven and place on top of the stove on medium heat. Combine 2 tablespoons of the butter and all of the Wondra to form a paste or buerre manie. Stir this into the stew along with the drained baby onions.
5. With the remaining butter sauté the mushrooms to a golden brown. Add to the stew. Bring the stew to a boil and lower the heat. Simmer, uncovered for 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve in bowls with French bread and herb butter. Sprinkle parsley for garnish, if desired.