1 4-5 Pound Kings Beef Chuck Roast
1/2 Cup Flour
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
2 -3 Tablespoons Cider Vinegar
2-3 Tablespoons Dark Brown Sugar
1 Each 8 Ounce Can KINGS Tomato Sauce
2-3 Tablespoons Tomato Ketchup
1 Cup Boiling Water
2 Bay Leaves
3/4 Teaspoon Crushed Dried KINGS Organic Fresh Thyme
4-5 Medium Carrots, cut in to 1 inch pieces
10-12 Red Bliss Potatoes, cut large potatoes in half or in thirds, leave smaller ones
2 Large or 3 Medium Spanish Onions
Preheat over to 350 Degrees
1. Combine flour, salt and pepper. Wipe beef chuck roast with paper towels then dredge the meat in the seasoned flour.
2. Heat the oil in a large roasting pan with a cover (a thin blue enamel roaster is fine).
3. Brown the meat, starting fat side down, on both sides to seal in the juices.
4. Spread the minced garlic over the top. Pour the vinegar over the meat, letting it drip onto the pan, then add all the remaining ingredients except the onions.
5. Bring to a slow boil, basting the meat until the ingredients are blended.
6. Cover the pan and place in the oven to braise for 1 hour.
7. Meanwhile, wash the carrots and the potatoes. Place the potatoes in a bowl and cover with cold water until ready to add to the beef.
8. After 1-hour in the oven, remove the beef and add the carrots and potatoes. Cover and return to the oven for another hour. Continue to baste occasionally, adding a small amount of boiling water as needed.
9. Peel and slice the onions into 1/2-inch slices. Set aside.
10. After the second hour in the oven, remove the beef and lay the onions in a single layer over the top of the meat. Extra onions may be placed around the meat. Baste with the gravy.
11. Cover the pan and return to the oven for about 30-45 minutes or until the onions are tender. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper as needed.
12. Let meat stand 1/2-hour, then slice across the grain.