2 Large Eggplants, slit in several places (or into halves)
Vegetable Oil for coating eggplant
1 Large Onion, chopped
1 Garlic Clove, minced
Two-inch Piece of Ginger Root, peeled and grated
2 Teaspoons Cumin Seeds
¼ Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
One Large Beefsteak Tomato, chopped coarsely
1 Teaspoon Salt
2 Tablespoons Fresh Cilantro Leaves, chopped
1. Place eggplant on a broiler pan, brush with oil, and broil approximately 6-8 minutes on each side until slightly charred.
2. Cool eggplant, remove charred skins and chop coarsely.
3. In a sauté pan, sauté onion until golden.
4. Add garlic and ginger and sauté one minute.
5. Add cumin seeds and Cayenne pepper and sauté briefly.
6. Add chopped eggplant, tomato and salt and sauté 4-5 minutes.
7. Sprinkle with cilantro leaves before serving.