1 Whole Kings/Bell & Evans Chicken – 3 to 3½ Pounds
1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Dried Poultry Seasoning or Dried Sage
2 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Rosemary
2 Small Onions, peeled and sliced
2 Stalks Celery, chopped
2 Cups Baby Carrots or 2 Whole Carrots
1 Cup Chicken Stock
Pre-heat oven to 450 Degrees.
1. Rinse the chicken and pat it dry with paper towels.
2. Combine the salt, pepper, dried seasoning and chopped fresh rosemary.
3. Rub the outside of the chicken with olive oil and then sprinkle it with the mixed spices. Season cavity as well.
4. Peel the onion and carrot. Rinse the celery and pat it dry. Roughly chop the vegetables. Fill the cavity with the vegetables, place it breast side down on a rack in a roasting pan.
5. Roast the chicken for 30 minutes.
6. Reduce the heat to 400 Degrees. Turn the chicken breast side up. Continue to roast for an additional 30 to 40 minutes, adding stock or water as needed, until the juices run clear when the thigh is pierced with a fork, or until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a thigh registers 165 Degrees.
7. Let the chicken rest, covered and in a warm place, for 15 minutes or up to 40 minutes before serving.
8. Remove the vegetables from the pan, if necessary. Skim the fat from the liquid that remains in the pan. Place the pan on the stovetop over high heat. Add an additional 1 cup chicken stock. Use a wooden spoon to scrape all the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Allow the liquid to boil and reduce almost in half. Strain what remains into a small saucepan. Taste for seasoning. Spoon over carved chicken at serving time.