1 Cup Cream or Kings Organic Milk
1 Cup Thinly Sliced Onion
1 KINGS Organic Fresh Bay Leaf
1 Cup Low Sodium Chicken Broth
1 Cup Pumpkin, cooked and mashed
11/2 Tablespoons Melted Kings Organic Butter
11/2 Tablespoons Flour
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
Pepper, to taste
¼ Cup Pomegranate Seeds
3 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Parsley
1. Combine milk, onions and bay leaf in saucepan. Slowly bring to a boil. Strain, then combine strained ingredients with chicken broth and mashed pumpkin (save the milk).
2. In a separate pan, make a roux by combining the butter and flour and cooking over low heat for 5 minutes. Add milk mixture to roux slowly and whisk until the soup is smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 5 minutes to bring out the flavors.
3. Garnish with pomegranate seeds, parsley, and cream.
Tips on Fresh Pumpkin:
• Choose a pumpkin that feels heavy for its size and is firm to the touch.
• Cut open the pumpkin and remove the seeds and stringy material.
• Cut into wedges or halves depending upon cooking method chosen. (boiling, baking, open pan roasting) In general a 5 lb. pumpkin will yield approximately 4 cups of mashed, cooked pumpkin pulp.
• If you're using a recipe that calls for canned pumpkin, figure one 29 oz. can is equal to about 3-1/4 cups fresh, cooked, and pureed pumpkin. A 16 oz. can of pumpkin is the equivalent of approximately 2 cups of mashed pulp.
• If your pumpkin pulp is too watery you may drain it in cheesecloth or a sieve. Alternatively you can cook it down to a thicker consistency in a sauce pan.