4-5 Pound Watermelon (8 cups cubes)
1 Cup Sugar
Pinch of Salt
3 Tablespoons Orange Liquor
1. In a small saucepan, bring sugar and 1 cup water to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook until it thickens slightly, about 10 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
2. While sugar syrup cools, peel, seed, and cut melon into cubes.
3. Whirl watermelon cubes in a blender or food processor until completely pureed. You will need to do this in batches. Transfer each batch to a large bowl.
4. Add about half the sugar syrup and salt to the pureed melon. Taste. It should be a bit sweeter than you want the final sorbet to taste. Add more sugar syrup, about a tablespoon at a time, to taste. Finish with orange liquor.
5. Cover and chill mixture at least an hour and up to overnight.
6. Freeze mixture according to manufacturer's instructions or pour into a metal baking pan and freeze, stirring every 30 to 60 minutes, until frozen