Asparagus Risotto with Lemon, Oregano & Parmesan
Asparagus, 6 ounces
1 Edward & Sons Low Sodium Veggie Bouillon Cube
Parsley, 2 sprigs
Oregano, 4 sprigs
Arborio Rice, 3/4 cup
White Cooking Wine, 1 ounce
Butter, 2 pats
Parmesan Cheese, 1 ounce
- Place a small saucepan over high heat. Add 4 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt.
- In a bowl, combine 1 cup ice, about 2 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Set bowl near the stove.
MISE EN PLACE
- Peel and mince shallot.
- Pick and finely chop parsley and oregano leaves. Reserve stems.
- Discard tough asparagus ends. Remove and reserve tips. Cut tender stalks at an angle into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Juice lemon.
- When water boils, add asparagus. Cook until bright green but still crisp, 1-2 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer asparagus to ice water. Reserve asparagus cooking liquid in pan.
- When asparagus is cool, transfer to a towel to drain.
- Return cooking liquid to high heat. Add bouillon cube and herb stems.
- When broth boils, reduce heat to very low.
While broth heats:
- Place a deep sauté pan over medium heat. Add 2 teaspoons olive oil. When oil is hot, add shallot. Cook, stirring, until shallot begins to become translucent, 2-3 minutes.
- Add rice. Cook, stirring, until rice begins to appear glassy, 1-2 minutes.
- Carefully add wine. Cook, stirring, until wine is nearly evaporated, about 1 minute.
- Remove herb stems from broth, or just avoid adding them to risotto.
- To rice, add 1/4 cup broth. Cook, stirring continuously, until liquid is almost fully absorbed.
- Repeat until you’ve used remaining broth, and rice is tender but still firm (“al dente”).
- If, after adding all broth, you’d like the rice more cooked, add a bit of warm water. Cook, stirring, until water is absorbed.
- Fold in asparagus.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Stir in butter, half of Parmesan, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and chopped herbs.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as desired with remaining lemon juice and kosher salt.
Note: If risotto is too stiff, stir in a little warm water. If risotto is too cool or too thin, return pan briefly to medium heat, and stir.
- Divide risotto between 2 plates or bowls.
- Top with remaining Parmesan, and enjoy!