Chicken Kebabs over Saffron-Barberry Rice with Sugar Snap Peas
Greek Yogurt, 2 tablespoons
Sweet Curry Spice Blend, 1 tablespoon
Chicken Breast, 8 ounces
Butter, 2 pats
Garlic, 2 cloves
Dried Barberries, 1 tablespoon
Basmati Rice, 3/4 cup
Sliced Almonds, 1/4 cup
Dill, 5 sprigs
Saffron, 1/8 teaspoon
Sugar Snap Peas, 4 ounces
- In a bowl, combine yogurt, sweet curry spice and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt.
- Cut each chicken breast into 8 equal pieces.
- Add chicken to bowl. Stir to coat.
MISE EN PLACE
- Peel and mince garlic.
- Pick and chop dill fronds; reserve stems.
- Peel and thinly slice shallot.
- Discard pea tips and strings.
- Place a saucepan over medium heat. Add 1 pat butter. When butter melts, add garlic. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add barberries. Cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
- Add rice, almonds, dill stems, 1 cup water, saffron and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt.
- When mixture simmers, cover pan, and reduce heat to low. Cook until most liquid is absorbed, 8-10 minutes. Keep covered, and remove from heat.
While rice cooks:
- Place 4 chicken pieces on each skewer.
- Keep pieces next to each other, but not pressed firmly together.
- Place a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add 2 teaspoons cooking oil. When oil is hot, add chicken skewers. Cook without disturbing until browned on bottom, 3-4 minutes.
- Flip skewers.
Scatter in shallot and peas around the skewers. Cook, stirring vegetables occasionally, until shallot becomes translucent and chicken is opaque throughout, about 4 minutes.
Stir in 1/4 cup water, remaining 1 pat butter and chopped dill. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired with kosher salt.
- Fluff rice with a fork. Divide between 2 plates.
- Serve skewers over barberry rice with peas and shallots on the side. Enjoy!