Creamy Norwegian Fish Soup with Dill
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
2 yellow Onions, Diced, small
1 Leek, diced small, Discard Dark green section, Rinsed in water to free of all sand
2 Celery Stalks, Diced, Small
1 Carrot, Diced, Small
1 Bay Leaf
3 cups Fish Stock
¼ Cup, Dry White Wine
3 Cups Heavy Cream
1 Cup Crème Fraiche
1.5lb Norwegian, Icelandic Cod or Skrei Fillet, Fresh, cut into 1-inch cubes
¼ cup Dill Sprigs, Fresh
Fresh Pumpernickel, Rye or Crusty French Bread
Kosher Salt and Fresh Black Pepper
1. Rinse and Dry Dill Sprigs, reserve chilled
2. Assemble all ingredients, including warming serving bowls as the soups should be served immediately when finished
3. In heavy sauce pot, add Olive oil and sauté over medium heat until leeks & onions are translucent and diced carrots are tender. Add Bay Leaf.
4. Season vegetables with kosher salt and pepper
5. Add white wine and cook 3-4 minutes until liquid is almost evaporated
6. Add seafood stock, bring to low simmer for 5-8 minutes.
7. Add cod cubes and gently simmer for 2-3 minutes only
8. Add heavy cream & crème fraiche and stir in very gently to avoid breaking fish apart.
9. Simmer (do not bring to boil) an additional 2-3 minutes.
10. Taste for seasoning. Add Salt and Pepper as needed.
11. Ladle into warm serving dishes, garnish with dill and serve immediately with hearty bread of choice.