Roasted Tomato Risotto
8 cups low sodium chicken stock
1 cup white wine
1 ½ Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, finely diced (about 1 cup)
2 cups arborio rice (10 oz)
6 oz roasted tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped (about ¾ cup)
2 medium garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan Reggiano cheese, more as needed
¼ cup fresh basil chiffonade
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper as needed
1. Prepare and measure all ingredients. In a medium saucepan, bring the stock to a simmer; keep it at a bare simmer over low heat.
2. In a medium saucepan, warm the olive oil. Add the onion and garlic and stir over moderate heat until softened.
3. Add the rice and cook for 1 minute, stirring to coat it with oil.
4. Add the wine, stir to combine with the rice and cook until wine is almost completely absorbed.
5. Ladle about 1 cup of the hot stock to the rice and cook, stirring constantly, until almost all the stock has been absorbed. Continue to add hot stock, 1 cup at a time, stirring until it is absorbed before adding more.
6. When about ¾ of the stock has been added and the rice is almost tender, stir in the tomatoes and continue cooking until the rice is tender.
7. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the butter, basil and Parmesan. Taste the mixture and season with salt and pepper as needed. Serve immediately, topped with additional freshly grated Parmesan.