Seared Yellowfin Tuna with Avocado
1 Teaspoon Freshly Grated Ginger
2 Medium Garlic Cloves, Finely Minced
1/2 Cup Soy Sauce
1 Teaspoon Sesame Oil
1 Tablespoon Rice Wine Vinegar
1 Teaspoon Sugar
1/2 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Divided
4 6-Ounce Pieces Sashimi-Quality Yellow Fin Tuna
Salt and Pepper
2 Ripe Avocados
Steamed White Rice
1. Combine the grated ginger, minced garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil and rice wine vinegar in a non-reactive bowl.
2. Peel the scallion and cut it into very thin slices. Add the scallion to the bowl.
3. Grate enough zest from the limes to make 1 tablespoon. Add the zest to the bowl. Squeeze the juice of 3 limes into the bowl. (Reserve the 4th lime for the avocados). Add the sugar and ¼ cup olive oil. Whisk the ingredients together to combine thoroughly.
4. Salt and pepper the tuna on each side. Lay the tuna, skin side up in a large flat dish (like a pie plate) and spread 1 tablespoon of the ginger-garlic mixture over each piece. Let sit while you prepare the avocados and heat the pan.
5. Cut the avocados in half. Remove the pits and scoop the flesh onto a cutting board. Cut each half into thin, even slices. Drizzle with juice from the remaining lime and plate sliced avocado on each of 4 serving plates.
6. Preheat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil.
7. Remove the seasoning from the tuna, blotting with paper towels to remove excess liquid. Place the tuna, skin side down in the hot pan. Sear 1-2 minutes on each side, depending on the thickness of the tuna. Pour half of the remaining ginger-garlic mixture over the tuna and bring to temperature.
8. Remove the tuna to serving plates with the avocado and a scoop of steamed rice. Garnish with chopped parsley or additional lime zest, if desired.