Virginia Blue Crab and Fontina Cheese Quiche
1 each 9” pie shell
2 8oz Little River Jumbo Lump Crabmeat (free of any shells)
6 oz. Italian fontina cheese, grated
2 each shallots, sliced thin, sautéed in butter until translucent
2 Tablespoons chives, fresh, snipped in ¼” pieces
2 large eggs + 2 egg yolks
¾ cup heavy cream
¾ cup whole milk
½ teaspoon kosher salt
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
1. Line 8-9” deep dish pie plate or oven-proof casserole dish with pie crust. Slightly flute the outside crust.
2. Add ½ of fontina into bottom of the shell.
3. Add shallots, chives and jumbo lump crabmeat.
4. Add second ½ of fontina.
5. Lightly mix together, cheese, shallots and crab without breaking up lumps of crab.
6. Whisk together eggs, yolks, cream, milk, salt and fresh black pepper to taste.
7. Pour custard over cheese and crab mixture.
8. Bake on a cookie sheet in center of 350° F oven approx. 45 minutes until custard is slightly golden and set. Cover with foil if top becomes too brown.
9. Remove from oven, rest 5 minutes and serve.