Preheat the oven to 450 Degrees.
1. In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, ¼ cup sugar, and lemon zest. Using a pastry blender, cut the shortening into the dry ingredients until the mixture is mealy.
2. Stir together the milk and lemon juice and let set for several minutes. Work just enough liquid into the flour mixture to create a dough that forms easily into a ball but is not too sticky.
3. Knead the dough several times and place on a floured surface, rolling or pressing to ½-inch thickness. Cut 2½ -inch rounds or other desired shape, and place on an ungreased cookie sheet about 1-inch apart. Sprinkle with remaining sugar and bake 10-12 minutes until lightly browned.
4. Combine the heavy cream, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer and whip until soft peaks form.
5. With fingers or a knife, split the biscuits in half horizontally. Place the bottom half on a plate and spread with two spoonfuls of whipped cream. Top with berry pieces. Place the top of the biscuit over the berries and top with more whipped cream and berries. Serve immediately.