Line a rimmed baking sheet with release foil and place it on the rack to preheat. Preheat the oven to 500 Degrees. Place the rack in the lowest position.
1. Peel the beets and cut them into wedges 1/2-inch thick.
2. Peel the carrots and parsnips and cut them into slices 1/2-inch thick.
3. In a large bowl toss the carrots, parsnips, olive oil, salt, pepper and sugar until evenly combined.
6. Carefully add the beets (try not to make the parsnips pink) and mix to combine.
7. Working quickly, transfer the vegetables to the hot baking sheet and spread to an even layer. Roast for 20-25 minutes until browned on one side – don’t bother stirring. Make the dressing while the vegetables roast.
8. Using the same bowl that held the vegetables, add the remaining olive oil, white wine vinegar, chopped shallots, honey and kosher salt. Whisk to combine. Taste for seasoning and add black pepper to taste.
9. Wash and dry the watercress and arugula. Trim off any wilted or browned leaves.
10. Place the hot roasted vegetables back into the bowl with the dressing and toss to combine. Let the mixture cool to room temperature (about 30 minutes). Toss in the watercress and arugula and serve immediately and top with shrimp.