1. Stir together ground cinnamon, ginger, turmeric, pepper, 1 teaspoon salt, and 2 tablespoons oil in a large bowl. Add chicken and mix to coat well.
2. Heat butter and 1 tablespoon oil in base of tagine, uncovered, over moderate heat until hot but not smoking, brown half of chicken, skin sides down, turning over once, 8 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Brown remaining chicken in same manner, adding any spice mixture left in bowl.
3. Add onion and remaining salt to tagine and cook, uncovered, stirring frequently, until soft, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 3-4 minutes. Add cilantro and parsley to tagine along with 1/2 cup water, chicken, and any juices accumulated on plate. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 30 minutes.
4. While chicken cooks, bring honey, remaining water, cinnamon stick, and apricots to a boil in a heavy saucepan, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until apricots are very tender (add more water if necessary). Once apricots are tender, simmer until liquid is reduced to a glaze, 10 to 15 minutes.
5. Ten minutes before chicken is done (170 degrees with an instant read thermometer), add apricot mixture to tagine. Discard cinnamon stick; serve chicken sprinkled with toasted almonds on top.